Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

letter to my history teacher

So, I am taking this History class through GBC, and it is conducted via WebCampus on Mondays and Wednesdays at the Winnemucca campus. Basically, I go in, and they have us all on video camera while the teacher teaches from Elko. I made the mistake of talking to a classmate during a lecture on Monday, and the following emails happened-

| I wanted you to know that the camera was on Winnemucca during today's video presentation and I noticed that there was some talking between you and a classmate. You should know that I do count participation as a part of the course grade.
| |
| | CMcM

Yes, but regardless I was still paying attention. I actually like and appreciate history. I could make a witty analogy to the WebCampus system and the British government, but I will save you the eye sore. Thanks though!
|
| Jessie

I'd like to hear your analogy, though!
CMcM

Professor,
Sure! Note that if anything, I am writing this to a)give some sort of comical relief and b)well. I am not sure. I like to write, and please don't take anything that I say seriously. I am obviously not doing this for a grade, but I feel compelled to respond in a civil and intellectual manner.

To start off with, there is the general idea of taxation without representation that was prevalent in Parliament. (and of which we have been discussing within the past week). My analogy begins hither with the idea that as a student, I am essentially paying a tax to the Great Basin College and in exchange I am receiving a great service of education. In essence, I would be comparing your role to that of a leader in Parliament. I do not know whether you are on any sort of authoritative Board or not, so for simplicity sake, I would not assume that you pass or exchange any such rules that a student would partake in. Instead, I will use this example to illustrate that it is essentially the right of the student to elect the classes he/she takes. In doing such electing, the person is thus voting for the teacher they would like to have represent their grades.

Therefore, in electing to take this history course I am paying a tax whereupon the teacher is paid to teach. It is my responsibility to learn or not learn, but it is ultimately my own will (or lack of will) power that will directly influence my final grade.

And just as the British government was attempting to control trade, raise taxes and submit blind authority to the New England citizens, thus I feel the direction of this class going. You may feel that I was disrespecting your class on Monday by carrying out a small menial conversation, but I would have to disagree on this end. In fact, I would say that I was probably respecting you more than you were giving credit for. I did, after all show some initiative by coming to class and trying to listen. You could say that I was being a loyalist this time. If the taxes were to increase though, I would have reasonable cause to raise my fellow colleagues to arms! (This is a joke)

Also, there is this mutual feeling of virtual representation within the classroom which is both literal and metaphorical to the Revolutionary cause. Literal in the sense that the camera really is watching. Metaphorical in that the distance between countries (WebCampus locations) is great and sometimes there is various mis communications.

Finally. I would like to make a suggestion. Perhaps the colonialists would have agreed with me on this manner, but before you went to war, this situation of salutatory neglect was quite preferable. Leave out the part where political hacks are voted into office and let sleeping dogs lie.

By this point you must think that I am strange beyond measure. I was upset that I could not attend class today. I had a last minute work trip to Colorado. I hope there are not too many typos, I am rather tired. I hope that your weekend goes well and my analogy is not entirely in vain.
Jessie



Me and my smart ass mouth. What do you think? Will she despise me and fail me on principle?

No comments:

Post a Comment